Kerala KFON Scheme:- The Kerala Fiber Optic Network (KFON) Scheme is an ambitious project undertaken by the Government of Kerala. The aim of the KFON Scheme is to provide affordable high-speed internet connectivity to every household, institution, and government office in the state of Kerala through a robust fiber optic network. On Monday, Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan launched Kerala Fibre Optical Network (KFON). This affordable network infrastructure will be costing ₹1,500 crores. Around 20 lakh people will be benefitted from this plan. After launching this plan on Monday, the Kerela state has become the first state to have its own broadband service ‘Kerala Fibre Optic Network’. To finance the KFON Scheme, the Kerala government has allocated substantial funds.
Table of Contents
Kerala KFON Scheme 2023
It is an initiative to improve internet accessibility to the people. According to this plan, a network of fiber optic cables will be laid all over the state, connecting even remote areas. It is expected that it will provide internet connectivity at a good speed to every household. This high-speed connectivity will enable many services, like e-governance, e-learning, telemedicine, and e-commerce, among others. This is an important step towards transforming Kerala into a knowledge economy and encouraging an innovation-driven society. The state government is trying to have connectivity in places through K-FON, like Idamalakudy in the interiors of the forest.
Details of Kerala Fibre Optical Network Scheme
|Name of the article||Kerala KFON Scheme|
|Launched by||Government of Kerala|
|Beneficiaries||Residents of the state.|
|Aim||To provide affordable high-speed internet connectivity to every household.|
Objective of Kerala KFON Scheme
The main aim of the KFON Scheme is to ensure digital inclusion by providing affordable and reliable high-speed internet connectivity to every household, institution, and government office in Kerala.The government will explore delivering e-Governance services to citizens through such networks.
KFON stands for Kerala Fiber Optic Network. It is a high-speed fiber optic network infrastructure being developed in the state of Kerala. The KFON project aims to provide affordable and reliable internet connectivity to every household, institution, and government office in Kerala. It has 375 Points-of-Presence all over the state.
The connection is already issued to 17,412 government offices and 2,105 households. About 9000 houses already receiving the benefits. The state government is planning to give connections to 30,000 government offices and 14,000 BPL families in the first stage of KFON.
Kerala State Electricity Board (KSEB) and Kerala State IIT Infrastructure Limited worked together for the successful implementation of the KFON. The project was initiated in 2017 with the goal of ensuring digital inclusion and enabling the state’s socio-economic development through enhanced internet access. KSEBL will be owing infrastructure assets. Kerala State Information Technology Infrastructure Ltd (KSITIL) will be managing the operations and maintenance of the project. Bharat Electronics (BEL) has been given the responsibility to give connections to government institutions and establish the network point of presence locations.
It is expected that this facility will provide equivalent high speed and quality as other service providers at affordable rates. The basic plan will be costing ₹299 (excluding GST) per month with a speed of 20 Mbps. The user will also get a free download limit of 3,000 GB each month. Citizens can also take the highest plan that is costing ₹1,249 (excluding GST) with a speed of 250 Mbps. It comes with a free download limit of 5,000 GB per month.
The project will be completed in two phases in the first phase, the authorities will do the outlying of the state-wide core optical fiber network and it will provide connectivity to 30,000+ government institutions. In the second one, free internet will be provided to economically backward families and subsidized internet for others by leveraging KFON Infrastructure.
Benefits of Kerala KFON Scheme
- Through KFON, families below the poverty line (BPL) will be able to access the internet.
- The KFON Scheme is expected to bring about significant advancements in various sectors, such as education, healthcare, agriculture, and governance.
- It will enable people to access online education platforms, telemedicine services, and digital government services conveniently.
- The scheme is also expected to boost entrepreneurship and create job opportunities in the IT and digital sectors.
- Overall, the Kerala Fiber Optic Network Scheme aims to bridge the digital divide and transform Kerala into a digitally empowered society.
- By providing high-speed internet access, the scheme aims to encourage socio-economic development in the state. It willbe opening up new opportunities for growth and empowerment.
- The availability of high-speed internet connectivity facilitates online education and skill development. It empowers individuals to acquire new skills, access educational resources, and participate in e-learning platforms.
- It is expected that around 20 lakh families who live in poverty will be given internet access. In the initial phase, the state government will provide free high-speed internet connections to around 14,000 BPL families.
Procedure to Register on Kerala KFON Scheme Portal
- Firstly, you have to visit the official website of the KFON i.e. https://kfon.kerala.gov.in/
- You will land on the home page of the website.
- After that click on the click here for register link on the home page.
- You will see a new page on the screen.
- Next, you will see three options under the Apply Online option Retail Enquiry, Distributor/Franchisee, and Corporate (B2B).
- According to your need, you have to choose one of the options.
- Now, you will see the registration form on the screen.
- Fill the registration form by entering details such as name, mobile number, email id, address, pin code, etc
- At last, click on the submit option on the screen.
Contact Details of Kerala Fibre Optical Network
If any individual needs any additional information, then they can contact to the below mentioned details-:
Address: Kerala State Information Technology Infrastructure Ltd., 1st Floor, Sankethika, PF Road, Vrindavan Gardens, Pattom PO, Thiruvananthapuram- 695004
Email id: email@example.com
Phone Number: 0471-2969640, 4068006,