UGC Earn While Learn Scheme 2023:- In order to assist students from socioeconomically disadvantaged groups to earn and support their education and develop skills to boost their employability, the University Grants Commission (UGC) has proposed creating a “earn-while-learn” scheme in higher education institutions (HEIs).
Table of Contents
UGC Earn While Learn Scheme 2023
Under this scheme, each student will get a consolidated amount paid on an hourly basis for the part-time work they complete, up to a maximum of 20 hours per week, 20 days per month. The commission has proposed the scheme in the draft document of guidelines for providing an equitable opportunity to socioeconomically disadvantaged groups (SEDGs) at higher education institutions. Students can earn some extra money while simultaneously gaining work experience and practical training while they are studying.
UGC Earn While Learn Scheme Details
|Name of the scheme||UGC Earn While Learn Scheme|
|Objective||To support the education|
|Beneficiaries||economically weaker students|
|UGC Official website||www.ugc.gov.in|
Objectives of UGC Earn While Learn Scheme
The following are the Objectives of the scheme:
- Implementing earn-while-learn programs to lessen the financial burden of learning and increase the learner’s adaptability.
- The scheme gives students the chance to “develop their personality, gain technical skills, and build their entrepreneurial ability, which would help them take up professional assignments fairly quickly.
Benefits of UGC Earn While Learn Scheme
The following are the benefits of the scheme:
- The policies were developed in accordance with the National Education Policy (NEP) 2020, which places a strong emphasis on meeting the needs of students who are members of socioeconomically disadvantaged groups (SEDGs).
- Under this scheme, students in need are given the chance to work part-time.
- A sample list of these engagement opportunities can include assistantships for research projects, library assignments, computer services, data entry, lab assistants, etc.
- Students will receive hourly compensation.
- The student’s career will benefit from this scheme.
- For their part-time work, which can only be done for a maximum of 20 hours per week and 20 days per month, each student will be paid a certain sum on an hourly basis.
- The student’s services will be provided after class hours.
- Students will also receive certificates at the end of their part-time job.
Eligibility Criteria of UGC Earn While Learn Scheme
Applicants who wish to apply for the scheme, must follow the below criteria:
- Students must be studying in higher education institutes.
- Students must be from socioeconomically disadvantaged groups.
Classification of Socio-economically Disadvantaged Groups (SEDGs)
The NEP 2020 broadly categorized SEDGs based on:
- Gender identities – particularly female and transgender individuals.
- Socio-cultural identities -such as Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, OBCs, and minorities.
- Geographical identities – such as students from villages, small towns, and aspirational districts.
- Disabilities – including learning disabilities.
- Socio-economic conditions.
Types of Jobs under UGC Earn While Learn Scheme
On one hand, students are earning some extra money, while on the other, they are getting work experience and hands-on training while studying. A sample list of these involvement options can include
- working on research projects with an assistantship
- Library assignments
- Computer services
- Data entry
- laboratory assistants, etc
Application Process for UGC Earn While Learn Scheme
Applicants who want to fill the form of scheme, can go to the official website and fill up the form there. However, the concerned authorities have not notified the official website yet. Once the official website is out, we will notify it here.